Which Stair Lift Manufacturer Should I Select for a Self Installed Lift?
A stair lift is a mechanical device that could break down. A warranty for stair lift parts is very important. The only stair lift manufacturers that provide self installed stair lift with a warranty are TK Access, Summit and Acorn. If you attempt to self install a stair lift from any other manufacturer, this could result in your warranty being null and void.
Which Stair Lift Models are Available for Self Installation?TK Access offers the Standard, Standard Plus, Cita, Exel and Silver Glide models. The only difference with all of these models is the type of seat. The rail, carriage and motor are the same on all of these TK Access stair lift models.
Summit offers the Summit Stair Lift. Ameriglide offers the Summit lift with fewer features.
Acorn offers the SuperGlide Stair Lift. Brooks offers a version of the SuperGlide with a different seat.
So, it boils down to basically three models.
- 1. The TK Access model Standard, Standard Plus, Citia or SilverGlide,
- 2. The Summit Stair Lift. ( or Ameriglide)
- 3. The Acorn SuperGlide. ( Or Brooks)
The TK Access models are available in AC or DC as does the Summit Lift. The Acorn is only available in the battery operated (DC) version. Many years ago, all stair lifts were electrically operated. About 5-6 years ago, battery operated models started to take market share. Many companies on the web try and convince people that the battery operated are better. Bottom line is it depends on your circumstances and needs.
If you have lower back pain then a battery operated lift will be a more gentle ride. However, if you live where electricity rarely goes out, then the electrical stair lift will be more reliable.
The 3 Models for Self Installation May Not Meet Your Needs
- All of these models tend to take up about 8-10" of the stair case. If your space is more restricted then you may require a model that is not available for self installation.
- If your stairway is curved, then you will need a custom stair lift that will need to be installed by a local dealer. Some companies will tell you that it is okay to consider two straight stair lifts for some shapes of stairways. It is always better to have one stair lift travel the distance from the top to the bottom of the stairway. Yes, it may be more expensive, but your day to day ease of managing getting up and down the stairs is extremely important.
- If you are quite short, meaning 5'4" or less, then the self installed models may have a seat height that is too high for you to easily get on and off. It is very important for a short person to actually try and ride a stair lift prior to making a decision on which model is best for their needs.
- These are some of the issues to consider when purchasing a self installed stair lift. The ideal solution is for you to buy self installed stair lift from a local dealer who could guide you through these issues. Or better yet, ask the dealer to give you a price for a recylcled lift.
A local company can most often supply you with a better alternative than simply buying a stair lift off the net. Find a local company.
stair lift - Home | chair lifts | stair lift comparisons | curved stair lifts | handicapped stairlift | self installed stair lifts | used stair lift | curved stair lift | electric stair lift | stair lift manufacturer | stair chair | stair chair lift | stair glide | stair lift specifications | straight stair lifts