Stair Lift Rental
Renting a stair lift is a viable option of for short period of time. Generally speaking, renting a stair lift for three months or less is cost effective. For a period of time exceeding three months, it is usually less expensive to purchase a used stairlift and then to resell it back to the company you purchased it from originally, This process is assuming they will repurchase your lift.
Renting a Stair Lift Costs
There are four componets in the cost to rent a stair lift:
- Cost to prepare the stairlift for installation to fit your stairway. This includes cutting the track to fit your stairs. This fee can range from $100-$200.
- The stairlift installation. Price range of $450-$600
- Removal of the stair lift. Approximate cost of $100-$300.
- Usuallly there is a three month minimum stair lift rental term. Price can range for three months from $300 - $600.
Total approximate cost for a three month rental of a stair lift would be $950-$1500.
Comparing a Stair Lift Rental to Buying a Used Stair Lift and Selling it back
The going price range for a used stair lift supplied and installed can range from $1600 - $2400. This price range included preparing the lift for your stairs, installing the lift and a warranty of some period of time. If the initial stair lift installing company will offer to repurchase the lift at a later time, for half of what they could resell it for then buying a used stair lift and reselling it back to them will be less expensive than renting a stair lift if you plan to keep it for longer than three months.
- Used stair lift supplied and installed for $2000.
- Company repurchases lift for $600. It costs them $100 remove the lift from your home, $50 to refurbish it. and $250 to reinstall it elsewhere. Total cost to stair lift installation company would be $1000. The resell the lift again for $1700.
- Your original purchase price was $2000. They rebuy lift for $600. Your out of pocket expense is $1400. Once you go over four months of rental, then buying a used lift is usually the most cost effective decision.
Other Stair Lift Rental Factors
- Only straight stair lifts are rented. Any curve in your staircase will not be accommodated with a straight stair lift. The only exception to this fact is if your stairs have a flat landing at the mid point, and you are willing to consider renting two separate straight stair lifts.
- If your stairs are outside your home then very few stair lift installation companies will rent an exterior stair lift. This is due to the fact that they would have to order a new lift with an exterior package and would find it difficult to find another rental application in the future to justify such a specific need.
- Age of stair lift being rented. A stair lif will last for about 10-12 years. Most stair lift rentals are used lifts with perhaps 3-5 years prior use. If a stair lift is older than 5 years old then you may consider another option.